Room A203: Salad Pairings 101 [visual post]

Hey there BCU Family!

A while back I did a post on healthy eating, specifically salads–y’all know my 80/20 rule…eat healthy 80% of the time AND have cake for the other 20%!😉 Seriously, we need to be on top of our health holistically–and as we take care of the spirit, we also need to take care of the body as best we can.

That said, since it’s summer, lighter fare is in order, right?  Did you ever wonder how the restaurants come up with salads with the perfect combination of ingredients and flavors, but you can’t remember what all  was in the salad? ME, TOO!   Well, wonder no more! The wonderful Sherry Chen of Personal Creations (thank you, my friend) reached out to me with this wonderful visual on salad pairings—the struggle is over! Take a look, try those combination out and let Sherry or me how much you liked LOVED your salad!

 

Thanks for stopping by and God bless you!

 

 

Love,

#StayOnTheWall

 

Need some other cool ideas? Head over to Sherry’s site!

image

Room A203: Smoothies recipes from Green_Blender.com!

Hey BCU Family!

Health in ALL areas is a part of what BlenCouragesU.com is all about—spiritually, financially, mentally, emotionally and physically. I remember a friend of mine, Amy and I joking about going out “full”, meaning with every unhealthy food and treat imaginable! 🙂

Now, don’t get me wrong, Family, I LOVE my goodies and definitely eat them on the regular, I just try to get more of an 80/20 rule in most of the time. That means with the help of the Lord, I’m trying to eat a good amount of veggies/salad, protein and (play fanfare) a SMOOTHIE!!!!

Smoothies are a good meal replacement (for some), when I do make them, they enhance my meals and help keep me fuller longer. Plus, the sweetness helps curb the desire for the cake for awhile.

So, while Green Blender.com offers a very nifty smoothie service (read all about it here) , Jenna is gracious enough to offer some pretty dynamite smoothie recipes for you perusal or even to get them emailed to you FOR FREE!!!!! Some recipes have basic ingredients, some a little more different, so if you’re feeling adventurous, try out the newer ingredient. Otherwise, leave it or try subbing it out for something else–she usually explains what each ingredient does, so you can make an informed decision.

Take a look at the Smoothies link and see what wonderful things you can blend up! By the way,  this is NOT a sponsored/ paid endorsement. I saw, I liked and I shared. Now, please go check the site out and enjoy, ok? 🙂

 

Love,

 

BCU

 

Source: green blender.com

Healthy Eating Spotlight–Blueberries

Hey family!

One of my dear sisters asked me about blogging about healthy food choices and I am only too happy to oblige. While we are not here to stay, I am of the mind while we are here, we should try, with God’s help, to do what we can to take good care of ourselves so we can head off preventable illnesses as much as possible. Of course, things happen that are out of our control, but we can control eating fried foods and large quantities of sweets every day.

Last year, I started making small dietary changes by incorporating more fruits, veggies and whole-wheat, and decreasing white, sugar, refined flour and caffiene. Eventually I started to eliminate wheat and “traditional” dairy, replacing them with gluten-free grains and almond or hemp milk. It seems I have more energy and lost a couple of inches. I do indulge every now and again with cake, chips or bread as a treat.

Well, Blen, what’s left to eat? Lots of things, we just need to break out of what we traditionally eat. The next few posts will focus on some simple info to incorporate in your diet. Let’s start small with this graphic on blueberries from MindBodyGreen.com

20130225-173650.jpg

These powerful little berries can be put into your pancakes, spooned into your yogurt, put into a fruit parfait with granola, or into a smoothie (my favorite). Check your grocer’s freezer or the produce section of your market and stock up! While organic is best, it can be pricey. You can get around that by soaking them in equal parts vinegar and water for a few minutes and then rinsing.

Bottom line: Let today be the last day to not take better care of yourself through healthier eating habits. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Love,

Blen

Infographic from MindBodyGreen.com